Monday, January 7, 2013

Arrival in Islamabad

Here I am. You all said it wouldn't happen. 
So I was advised to get a porter to help me out of the airport.  Omar gave me a thousand rupees and said this is what it will cost. Aisha advised me to never ask what things cost, just tell them what you will pay. So I, thinking I'm a pro, tell the porter, "I'll give you 500 rupees or piss off". He happily agrees. Turns out he would have done it for 200. Groan.
Airport is chaotic but cool. I found wifi and was able to check in with people no problem.   People have been overall friendly and nice.
First things first. We have to set up. Get the water, phone, medication,  money exchange.  Everything is close by. But you can spend your money quite quickly.
So I'm digging the initial vibe. Don't get me wrong, its f&*cking Looney Toony here. Loud, run down, chickens and ducks everwhere. And thats the city. What does the village look like?
And again, all dudes! I would hate to be a lady here. Though they may all be at home watching Humsafar.
And usual things happen, power goes down, heating gas is low, its a bit cold. But that's no big deal. Too bad the pakisani's don't have access to our luxuries.
Ok gotta run. Tea time. Off to Lahore tomorrow.

1 comment: