Saturday, January 5, 2013

My journey begins.

So I'm off on my first flight to new york. No complaining today.  I'm very excited to be off on this adventure.
Just a little sad to be alone. I don't like leaving my family even for a day and watching cayden cry for me as I left was tough. Ill see them in 5 days and at least I get peace and quiet on the plane.
You know my friend Jamal asked "so azhar bhai is going to Pakistan for the first time? What's the big deal?" His mom responds"he's 37"
"Oh, that's different!"
I think that's the point. I'm going as an adult so have no childhood memories to compare to. No idea of what to expect other than the exaggerated warnings from my family and friends. I hope for the best and expect the worse!
All of you who know me know that I am entrenched in and appreciative of Pakistani. I sing qawalli and play cricket and wear kurtas and cook kebabs. And Pakistani women are beautiful. I even married one! Maybe even two?
And more importantly Aisha and I are going to meet our great new sister in law Aymen, and to help guide her and omar on this first leg of their own long journey.
But I'm not going im blind. The culture shock will be huge, the dangers apparent and the memories unforgettable. I'll tell you how I really see it.
So how does my wife say goodbye?
"Azhar, let me look at you, hopefully not for the last time. And if you do end up in trouble or kidnapped or in jail. I'll be sure to remember what you always tell me."
"IT'S NOT WORTH THE MONEY"

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to Pakistan http://visitpak.com/
    Its not as bad as you think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're going to have a great time, already. Have a good one.

    ReplyDelete